College, Alcohol, and Drug Offenses
For college students, illegal drug use or underage drinking can lead to unexpected criminal charges and significant legal and academic penalties. Many students may not realize the impact that a criminal charge can have on their lives, affecting both their academic experience and future job prospects. In the short-term, some schools may even expel or suspend students for certain charges, remove them from teams and clubs, or strip scholarships or funding.
At Hill Law Firm, our attorneys protect college students’ rights and liberties across eastern North Carolina, carefully analyzing each case and providing an informed defense. We understand that everyone makes mistakes, and our goal is to ensure each college student has a fair trial and a qualified defense working in their best possible interest.
A number of our defense cases for college students deal with criminal charges including:
- Underage drinking
- Minor possession of drugs/marijuana
- DUI or DWI
- Disorderly conduct
In addition to these charges, our attorneys are well-versed in a number of other college-related offenses. If you don’t see your charges listed, contact us to learn more.
Charges for college, alcohol, and drug offenses
Each state has their own penalties for the charges listed above. In North Carolina, charges typically carry these sentences:
- Underage drinking: a Class I misdemeanor, sentencing is left up to the judge.
- Minor possession of drugs/marijuana: depending on the drug and amount, there is no jail time for a first offense and a $200 fine. Subsequent offenses increase jail time and fines.
- DUI/DWI: there are five levels to a DWI charge. The base level includes a fine up to $200 and anywhere from 24 hours to 60 days in jail. Penalties increase for each level of the charge.
- Disorderly conduct: a Class II misdemeanor, offenders face up to 60 days in jail and a fine up to $1,000.
- Assault: depending on the degree of the assault, jail time ranges from up to 30 days in jail to up to 150 days in jail. Fines for simple assault alone can be up to $1,000.
Our experience with college defense
As our offices have been located in Greenville for over 37 years, we have significant experience helping students at institutions in eastern North Carolina, including East Carolina University, Beaufort Community College, and Pitt Community College.
Our attorneys provide college students with a professional, informed defense, helping them understand the rights they are entitled to, as well as the legal options available. We will carefully analyse evidence and testimonies and enlist the help of necessary experts in order to prevent or lessen charges.
For students and parents, our legal guidance helps bring peace of mind to an otherwise stressful situation.
Call Hill Law Firm
If you are a college student or parent of a student facing criminal charges for alcohol, drug, or assault offenses, your case could likely benefit from legal representation. Initial consultations with our attorneys are free of charge. To learn more about what our defense has to offer and how we can help reduce or eliminate your charges, give Hill Law Firm a call today at (252) 758-1403.